Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Division Delight

My students have been working so hard to learn long division. I decided I wanted to do something to make dividing a bit more "delightful"! Let me first clarify that this year when I taught the steps to division I took out the "divide" step. Yes, I know it is called division because you divide but I have found that this step actually confused my students year after year. They see step one as multiplying..."what number can I multiply with my divisor to get close without going over the dividend"...
So, this year my steps were 1) multiply 2) subtract 3) bring down. My instincts were right and they really caught on perfectly to the steps. Using these steps the students were each given 3 post-it notes. They wrote a multiplication sign on one, subtraction on the second, and an arrow on their last post-it. I then passed out the "delight"...
M & Ms for multiply
Skittles for subtract
Jelly Beans for bring down.
Each time the students worked a division problem they enjoyed a sweet treat to help them remember the steps. This is definitely a delightful division lesson I will use again. Below are some pictures of our learning.
Click to play this Smilebox collage
Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
Customize a photo collage

0 comments:

Post a Comment